EU: Beer brands given wine denomination usage clearance
Drinks advertising for products free from designation of origin systems can in principle compare their qualities to other drinks regulated under appellation rules, the European Court of Justice (ECJ) has ruled.
However, such advertising or labelling "must not take unfair advantage of the reputation of a trademark, trade name or other distinguishing marks of a competitor or of the designation of origin," judges said yesterday (23 April).
The court had been asked whether an EU directive on misleading advertising prevented comparisons of non-designation of origin products with controlled lines in all instances.
The ruling follows a case between Belgian brewer De Landtsheer Emmanuel, the Comité Interprofessionnel du Vin de Champagne and Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin. The Belgians had been promoting a beer made using 'méthode champenoise' techniques with Champagne terminology such as 'brut' and 'Reims-France'.
The ECJ concluded that such a tough interpretation "would be unwarranted and could not be justified".
Domaine Chandon has released a single-serve size for its rosé sparkling wine in the US....
Pernod Ricard USA will introduce a host of special value-added packs for its brands in the US for the coming holiday season....
Pernod Ricard has updated the packaging across its Champagne Perrier-Jouët range....
Bibendum has added two new single-estate English wines that use the company's north London home as a namesake....
Coming up at this year's VinExpo in Bordeaux…...
Coming up at this year's London International Wine & Spirits Fair…...
Freixenet USA has renovated its website to include notes on its range of sparkling wines....
Champagne Taittinger has added another artist to its limited edition Taittinger Collection in the UK....
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends