FRANCE: Beaujolais Nouveau sales set to rise in '10
It's Beaujolais Nouveau time
Wine trade association Inter-Beaujolais is anticipating sales of 41.5m bottles for the 2010 Beaujolais Nouveau, which was released for consumption today (18 November).
Expected sales of 280,000 hectolitres in this year's Beaujolais Nouveau campaign compare to sales of 266,000hl last year. Beaujolais Nouveau represents one-third of the total Beaujolais harvest, which also includes classic Beaujolais and Beaujolais Villages.
Commenting on prices, Inter-Beaujolais’ co-President, Dominique Capart, said prices have increased by between 15% and 20% in this year's campaign. Japan remains by far the leading international destination for Beaujolais Nouveau, accounting for 6m bottles out of global export volumes of 15m bottles.
In second place comes the US (2.3m bottles), followed by Germany (1.3m bottles). Exports of Beaujolais Nouveau to the UK are only a quarter of levels seen a decade ago.
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Molson Coors' Rekorderlig Cider Cocktails - NPD
- Carlsberg's Shed Head and Bad Apple craft - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends