FRANCE: Beaujolais and Rhône producers to join Chamarré group
Opera Vins & Spiriteux (OVS), the group of French wine co-operatives behind the Chamarré brand, is set to welcome members from Beaujolais and the Rhône Valley by the end of June.
The new producers will become the seventh and eighth members of OVS, which is said to be the first time French wine producers have joined forces to produce a single brand.
OVS export manager Vincent Norguet said Chamarré had been welcomed by buyers in the UK looking for a branded offering from France.
"Buyers are very aware that they have to have a big brand to drive the French offer in their supermarkets," he told just-drinks. Since its launch in February, Chamarré has won listings in Morrisons and Somerfield, with Threshers also set to sell the label from July.
"Buyers really expect a French brand positioned at GBP4.99-7.99 (US$9.36-14.99) - that's they key point on the UK market," Norguet added. "France is able to produce quality wines at that price level, there is no doubt about that."
Norguet also said that OVS was looking to launch Chamarré in Scandinavia, Benelux, Germany, Switzerland and France.
French wines with a catchy name and something of the New World about them are not a new phenomenon but, writes Chris Losh, there’s something about such brands that doesn’t quite ring true. What is req...
Problematic weather conditions in Burgundy and Beaujolais meant the skill and judgment of winemakers in both regions was fully tested for the 2006 vintage, writes Lyn Parry. Early reports suggest that...
Reform of EU wine policy has long been viewed as a necessity, but may be closer to becoming a reality, judging by recent remarks from agriculture commissioner Mariann Fischer Boel. A timetable for ref...
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Brown-Forman launches brand nutrition website
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers