JAPAN/US: Beam Suntory born as Suntory closes Beam Inc buy
Beam Suntory Inc has come into being, with Suntory Holdings' acquisition of Beam completing today.
The US$16bn transaction, which was announced in January closed this afternoon (30 April), resulting in the creation of what the two companies claim is the third-largest premium spirits company in the world.
Beam Suntory, which will be headquartered in Deerfield, Illinois, intends to integrate the spirits business of the Japanese firm's Suntory Liquors unit before the end of this year.
“We have created a stronger global business with an even better premium portfolio,” said Matt Shattock, Chairman & CEO of Beam Suntory. “We will be focused on continuing our momentum, growing in developed and emerging markets, and building on our combined strengths.”
Nobutada Saji, president & chairman of Suntory Holdings, added: “Since its founding, Suntory Group has always shared the spirit of ‘Yatte Minahare – Go for it!’ in taking on new challenges, creating new opportunities, and living our corporate values. I believe this common spirit and our combined strengths will be a powerful driving force.”
Combined sales of Beam Inc and Suntory Liquor totalled US$4.6bn in 2013.
Suntory made a significant move in 2013 with the acquisition of Lucozade and Ribena from GlaxoSmithKline. This has boosted its presence in sports and energy drinks in Western Europe. However, the bran...
A storm appears to be brewing in the spirits category and it's a storm borne out of marketing. Can spirits companies settle the terminology tiff before things get out of hand, or is it too late? Ian B...
Suntory Beverage & Food Ltd was listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange in 2013, with the aim of financing its global M&A. The company acquired two brands Lucozade and Ribena from GlaxoSmithKline in Septem...
Spirits in Australia industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also conta...
As part of the 200th anniversary celebrations for Islay single malt Scotch whisky Laphroaig, brand owner Beam Suntory has announced the limited re-release of the Laphroaig 15-year-old expression....
Spirits in Belgium industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contain...
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- A snapshot of the UK spirits market - Focus
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends