US: Beam Inc silent on Diageo, Suntory takeover talk
Beam Inc was formerly part of Fortune Brands until late last year
A story in the Sunday Telegraph yesterday (9 December) claimed that the two companies held talks earlier this year about a possible move to buy Beam. The US company has widely been viewed as a takeover target for the larger spirits players since it became a pure-play drinks company in October last year.
The talks, which reportedly took place in the Spring and Summer, have since proved inconclusive.
When contacted by just-drinks today, a spokesperson for Beam would not be drawn on the Telegraph's story.
“Speculation about consolidation is a way of life in the spirits industry, and as a matter of company policy we don’t comment on rumour or speculation,” the spokesperson said.
“We’re sharply focused on executing our proven growth strategy, outperforming our market, and continuing to create long-term value for our shareholders.”
For just-drinks' view on the latest development, click here.
- The End of the Road for International Beer Brands?
- Comment - Another One Bites Bacardi's Dust
- Allegro: The shape of things to come at Pernod?
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- US craft vodka puts squeeze on Pernod's Absolut
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- Pernod bemoans tough FY as sales, profits drop
- ASA bans Jägermeister TV ad
- Bacardi announces CFO switch
- SABMiller exec to become CFO at Beam Suntory