US: Beam Inc shareholders to vote on Suntory deal next month
The US$16bn deal is now expected to complete in April
Beam Inc will hold a “special” meeting of its shareholders next month for a vote on Suntory’s planned takeover of the US-based sprits group, but the US$16bn deal is expected to be finalised by April.
In an announcement late on Wednesday (19 February), Beam said the March 25 meeting will allow stockholders to “consider and vote” on the proposed transaction. The Illinois-headquartered group is facing legal action from shareholders over the deal, first announced last month, involving allegations of misconduct in its handling of the process.
Beam denies all the claims.
Matt Shattock, Beam’s president & CEO said on Wednesday: “We continue to make progress towards completion of the transaction with Suntory Holdings and we are working to ensure a smooth integration to create the world’s number three premium spirits company.”
The statement said Suntory and Beam expect the deal to close in April, subject to shareholder approval and “regulatory clearance in the United States and the European Union”.
To read just-drinks' full coverage of the proposed deal, click here
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo silent on United Spirits job losses
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Wild Geese gets Australian nod in Pernod legal row
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends