US: Beam Inc plans bottling operations shake-up
Beam is consolidating its bottling operations in the US
Beam Inc has revealed plans to move the US bottling of Pinnacle Vodka and Calico Jack Rum to its Kentucky site as part of a “consolidation” exercise.
The transition, from the group's facility in Lewiston, Maine, will take place in stages “over the next year”, a company spokesperson said today (25 January). The move is expected to be completed by early 2014.
Around 160 people are employed at the plant, but their future appears in doubt. “We are currently exploring options for the plant, which may include finding a suitable buyer,” the spokeperson said.
The pure-play spirits company did not directly comment on a report that the 160 employees are set to lose their jobs.
The Lewiston site was taken over by Beam when the group acquired the Pinnacle and Calico Jack brands from White Rock Distilleries last year for US$605m.
Ian Gourlay, Beam's senior VP of global operations & supply chain, said: “Consolidating our US bottling operations into our state-of-the-art facility in Kentucky will deliver substantial operational synergies.”
Earlier this week, Beam annouced it has agreed to sell a group of its “economy” spirit brands to Luxco for around US$65m.
In a recently-published global briefing 'Diageo in Spirits', Euromonitor International's senior alcoholic drinks analyst Jeremy Cunnington takes a look at what are the challenges facing Diageo in spi...
Earlier today, Beam Inc reported a jump in Q1 net profits on the back of a lift in sales. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the group's performance by brands and regions:...
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research