US: Beam Inc plans bottling operations shake-up
Beam is consolidating its bottling operations in the US
Beam Inc has revealed plans to move the US bottling of Pinnacle Vodka and Calico Jack Rum to its Kentucky site as part of a “consolidation” exercise.
The transition, from the group's facility in Lewiston, Maine, will take place in stages “over the next year”, a company spokesperson said today (25 January). The move is expected to be completed by early 2014.
Around 160 people are employed at the plant, but their future appears in doubt. “We are currently exploring options for the plant, which may include finding a suitable buyer,” the spokeperson said.
The pure-play spirits company did not directly comment on a report that the 160 employees are set to lose their jobs.
The Lewiston site was taken over by Beam when the group acquired the Pinnacle and Calico Jack brands from White Rock Distilleries last year for US$605m.
Ian Gourlay, Beam's senior VP of global operations & supply chain, said: “Consolidating our US bottling operations into our state-of-the-art facility in Kentucky will deliver substantial operational synergies.”
Earlier this week, Beam annouced it has agreed to sell a group of its “economy” spirit brands to Luxco for around US$65m.
In a recently-published global briefing 'Diageo in Spirits', Euromonitor International's senior alcoholic drinks analyst Jeremy Cunnington takes a look at what are the challenges facing Diageo in spi...
Earlier today, Beam Inc reported a jump in Q1 net profits on the back of a lift in sales. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the group's performance by brands and regions:...
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- What's in store for Super Bowl 5 - Focus
- Will value-sharing in Travel Retail become reality
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- Moet Hennessy sees China rebound in strong FY
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research