US: Beam Inc plans bottling operations shake-up
Beam is consolidating its bottling operations in the US
Beam Inc has revealed plans to move the US bottling of Pinnacle Vodka and Calico Jack Rum to its Kentucky site as part of a “consolidation” exercise.
The transition, from the group's facility in Lewiston, Maine, will take place in stages “over the next year”, a company spokesperson said today (25 January). The move is expected to be completed by early 2014.
Around 160 people are employed at the plant, but their future appears in doubt. “We are currently exploring options for the plant, which may include finding a suitable buyer,” the spokeperson said.
The pure-play spirits company did not directly comment on a report that the 160 employees are set to lose their jobs.
The Lewiston site was taken over by Beam when the group acquired the Pinnacle and Calico Jack brands from White Rock Distilleries last year for US$605m.
Ian Gourlay, Beam's senior VP of global operations & supply chain, said: “Consolidating our US bottling operations into our state-of-the-art facility in Kentucky will deliver substantial operational synergies.”
Earlier this week, Beam annouced it has agreed to sell a group of its “economy” spirit brands to Luxco for around US$65m.
Changing demographics, growing economies, increased disposable income and the rise in international and business travel have all contributed to the burgeoning travel retail sector....
In a recently-published global briefing 'Diageo in Spirits', Euromonitor International's senior alcoholic drinks analyst Jeremy Cunnington takes a look at what are the challenges facing Diageo in spi...
Earlier today, Beam Inc reported a jump in Q1 net profits on the back of a lift in sales. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the group's performance by brands and regions:...
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets