US: Beam Inc hits back at Sidney Frank lawsuit
Beam says it will prevail
Beam Inc is “confident” of victory in a legal battle with Sidney Frank after the US importer filed a lawsuit against the global group and a subsidiary for US$100m.
According to reports on Friday (1 March), Sidney Frank claimed in documents filed at a Manhattan court that Beam denied it access to Michael Collins Irish Whiskey after Beam bought the brand's owner, Cooley Distillery. Sidney Franks said it had an outstanding contract with Cooley to distribute the whiskey, Bloomberg reported.
However, in an emailed statement to just-drinks today, Beam said: “We have been in commercial discussions with Sidney Frank regarding this matter and while we don’t discuss the details of matters in litigation, we are confident in our position and that we will prevail.”
Sidney Frank lodged its claim at the US District Court in Manhattan on Friday. The importer is suing Beam and Cooley for breach of contract, unfair competition and tortious interference with the importer’s business relationships with distributors throughout the US, Bloomberg said.
Beam closed its purchase of Cooley, for US$95m, in January last year.
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- AB InBev raises SAB cash offer by GBP1 per share
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends