US: Beam Inc hits back at Sidney Frank lawsuit
Beam says it will prevail
Beam Inc is “confident” of victory in a legal battle with Sidney Frank after the US importer filed a lawsuit against the global group and a subsidiary for US$100m.
According to reports on Friday (1 March), Sidney Frank claimed in documents filed at a Manhattan court that Beam denied it access to Michael Collins Irish Whiskey after Beam bought the brand's owner, Cooley Distillery. Sidney Franks said it had an outstanding contract with Cooley to distribute the whiskey, Bloomberg reported.
However, in an emailed statement to just-drinks today, Beam said: “We have been in commercial discussions with Sidney Frank regarding this matter and while we don’t discuss the details of matters in litigation, we are confident in our position and that we will prevail.”
Sidney Frank lodged its claim at the US District Court in Manhattan on Friday. The importer is suing Beam and Cooley for breach of contract, unfair competition and tortious interference with the importer’s business relationships with distributors throughout the US, Bloomberg said.
Beam closed its purchase of Cooley, for US$95m, in January last year.
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts