US: Beam Inc hits back at Sidney Frank lawsuit
Beam says it will prevail
Beam Inc is “confident” of victory in a legal battle with Sidney Frank after the US importer filed a lawsuit against the global group and a subsidiary for US$100m.
According to reports on Friday (1 March), Sidney Frank claimed in documents filed at a Manhattan court that Beam denied it access to Michael Collins Irish Whiskey after Beam bought the brand's owner, Cooley Distillery. Sidney Franks said it had an outstanding contract with Cooley to distribute the whiskey, Bloomberg reported.
However, in an emailed statement to just-drinks today, Beam said: “We have been in commercial discussions with Sidney Frank regarding this matter and while we don’t discuss the details of matters in litigation, we are confident in our position and that we will prevail.”
Sidney Frank lodged its claim at the US District Court in Manhattan on Friday. The importer is suing Beam and Cooley for breach of contract, unfair competition and tortious interference with the importer’s business relationships with distributors throughout the US, Bloomberg said.
Beam closed its purchase of Cooley, for US$95m, in January last year.
This is the second edition of our popular ranking of the world's leading spirits brands....
Changing demographics, growing economies, increased disposable income and the rise in international and business travel have all contributed to the burgeoning travel retail sector....
Over the last 10 years RTD's as a category may not have grown at anywhere near the level it did between 1998 and 2003 but it has, nevertheless enjoyed steady global growth. This reality flies in the f...
- Interview - Bacardi global marketing boss, whisky
- Has Coca-Cola Jumped From Frying Pan to Fire?
- Constellation grapples with glass as reality bites
- Coca-Cola can unleash Monster with energy plunge
- just The Preview - Carlsberg's Q2 & H1
- Diageo doubles intake for spirits start-ups scheme
- Diageo appoints head for Asia marketing unit
- Second senior exec to depart Bacardi
- Bacardi sees North America president step down
- Constellation recalls Corona over glass threat