UK: Beam Inc follows Diageo, Pernod Ricard with Scotch capacity spend
Beam Inc owns the Teacher's blended Scotch whisky brand
Beam Inc is the latest Scotch whisky producer to invest in increasing its capacity as the category continues to grow globally.
The US-headquartered company, which owns the Teacher's, Laphroaig and Ardmore Scotch brands, said late yesterday (3 October) that it has opened three new warehouses in which to age its whiskies in Scotland. The warehouses, located in Westthorn near Glasgow, will help Beam up its holding capacity in Scotland by almost 20%.
Beam said it has spent GBP3m (US$4.9m) on the new warehouses, in order to “meet growing worldwide consumer demand and support future growth for its premium Scotch whisky portfolio”.
“These three new warehouses will allow us to age 75,000 more casks of Scotch at once,” said Douglas Reid, director of Scotch & Irish whisk(e)y operations for Beam.
Earlier this year, Diageo announced plans to build a new distillery in Scotland and boost the capacity of two other sites as part of its five-year investment programme in Scotch. Pernod Ricard also lined up a GBP40m annual investment in its Scotch production operations last year.
While many drinks companies have highlighted Africa as a continent that offers huge potential, the region is not without its well-documented perils and pitfalls. Most notable among these is the logist...
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Diageo silent on United Spirits job losses
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends