US: Beam Inc claims victory in Pucker trademark dispute
Beam says it will be allowed to continue with its branding as a result of the ruling
Beam Inc has welcomed a legal ruling in a trademark dispute over its Pucker flavoured vodka brand.
The case centred around the use of a woman's lip marks on the label of Beam's Pucker range, launched in 2011. JL Beverage Company had alleged that the use of the lips could be confused with its brand Johnny Love Vodka.
But, in a ruling last Thursday (14 March) at the US District Court of Nevada, Judge Du said that Pucker did not infringe copyright, according to a statement from Beam earlier this week.
“We were confident from the start in our position, and we are pleased the court has emphatically rejected the plaintiff’s claims and confirmed our right to continue using our unique and distinctive label design for Pucker Flavored Vodka,” said Kent Rose, Beam's general counsel.
JL Beverage had previously sought a preliminary injunction, which was rejected.
The company has yet to respond to a request for comment from just-drinks.
Over the last 10 years RTD's as a category may not have grown at anywhere near the level it did between 1998 and 2003 but it has, nevertheless enjoyed steady global growth. This reality flies in the f...
Changing demographics, growing economies, increased disposable income and the rise in international and business travel have all contributed to the burgeoning travel retail sector....
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly