US: Beam Inc abandons Maker's Mark abv change decision
The abv of Maker's Mark will remain at 45% after consumers attacked Beam Inc's proposal
Beam Inc has buckled to consumer power and reversed its decision to reduce the abv of its Maker's Mark Bourbon brand.
The US-based spirits producer saw Bourbon drinkers vent their anger on social media networks last week when it announced that rising demand would result in it lowering Maker's Mark's abv from 45% to 42%. The move was widely attacked with many consumers taking to Twitter to attack the decision.
However, earlier today (17 February), Beam posted a message on the Maker's Mark Facebook page, in which it said it would not alter the abv of Maker's Mark.
“We’re humbled by your overwhelming response and passion for Maker’s Mark,” said the note, signed by the COO and chairman of the Maker's Mark division. “While we thought we were doing what’s right, this is your brand – and you told us in large numbers to change our decision.
“We’re sincerely sorry we let you down.”
When asked about what the move would mean for the price point of Maker's Mark going forward, a spokesperson for Beam Inc told just-drinks: "Today, we’re focused on the transition to returning to 90 proof and not on pricing strategies."
Sales volumes of Maker's Mark have risen by 30% since 2010, with around 1m cases being sold in 2012.
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Are Big Spirits Companies Failing to Innovate?
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Suntory sells Louis Royer Cognac for US$110m
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research