US: Beam Inc abandons Maker's Mark abv change decision
The abv of Maker's Mark will remain at 45% after consumers attacked Beam Inc's proposal
Beam Inc has buckled to consumer power and reversed its decision to reduce the abv of its Maker's Mark Bourbon brand.
The US-based spirits producer saw Bourbon drinkers vent their anger on social media networks last week when it announced that rising demand would result in it lowering Maker's Mark's abv from 45% to 42%. The move was widely attacked with many consumers taking to Twitter to attack the decision.
However, earlier today (17 February), Beam posted a message on the Maker's Mark Facebook page, in which it said it would not alter the abv of Maker's Mark.
“We’re humbled by your overwhelming response and passion for Maker’s Mark,” said the note, signed by the COO and chairman of the Maker's Mark division. “While we thought we were doing what’s right, this is your brand – and you told us in large numbers to change our decision.
“We’re sincerely sorry we let you down.”
When asked about what the move would mean for the price point of Maker's Mark going forward, a spokesperson for Beam Inc told just-drinks: "Today, we’re focused on the transition to returning to 90 proof and not on pricing strategies."
Sales volumes of Maker's Mark have risen by 30% since 2010, with around 1m cases being sold in 2012.
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research