UK: Beam Global targets Teacher's revamp, extension
Beam Global Wine & Spirits is looking to revamp its Teacher's blended Scotch brand.
Speaking to just-drinks yesterday (9 May), Beam's Scotch brand director, Michael Cockram, said that, while the brand had performed "way stronger than expected" last year, Beam is looking to update its look and add to the Teacher's stable.
"Volume remains high for Teacher's, at 575,000 cases last year, so it's hardly a declining brand and still retaining its share," Cockram said. "We've got a strong potential for that brand, but something which wasn't exploited in the past by Allied Domecq."
Cockram noted, however, that the packaging for the whisky needs modernising. "We need to really improve the packaging on Teacher's," he said. "We inherited a brand which has got three slightly different packaging propositions - one in Brazil, one in Rest of the World and one in the UK. We need to have a single packaging solution on Teacher's and it needs to be stronger.
"The Teacher's branding is actually quite weak and the packaging looks a bit old-fashioned and slightly dull, and that needs to change."
At the same time, Cockram said Beam will be looking at launching a blended malt whisky version of Teacher's, launched at a premium price point. "We're trying to get a product that can compete with Johnnie Walker Black and Chivas Regal," he said. "Premium blends is one of the fastest growing segments of the Scotch whisky market, but we're not there at the moment."
Cockram targeted the third quarter of next year for the fresh packaging and the brand extension.
Beam’s acquisition of Teacher’s and Laphroaig may not have attracted as much attention as some other elements of the Allied Domecq sell-off but as Michael Cockram, Scotch brand director at Beam Global...
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has relaunched its company website following a redesign....
Global drinks majors Diageo and Pernod Ricard have slashed the prices on their whiskies ranging from 10-37% depending on the state, expect in Maharashtra....
Maxxium Worldwide has reported record sales in its mid year results....
Beam Global UK has unveiled a new logo and packaging for the established Sherry brand Harveys....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has launched a new single malt Scotch whisky on the UK market....
Pernod Ricard has seen a 6.9% rise in sales in its first-quarter, helped by a lift in high end sales in markets such as China and India....
Fortune Brands has hailed its Beam Global Spirits & Wine unit for delivering record operating income for the third quarter....
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?