US: Beam Global Spirits & Wine re-jigs Maker's Mark leadership
Rob Samuels takes helm at Maker's Mark
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has announced that the president of Maker's Mark, Bill Samuels Jr, will pass on the day-to-day running of the distillery to his son.
Samuels Jr will retire as president of Maker's Mark on 15 April, Beam Global said today (12 January). He will take up the position of "chairman emeritus" of the distillery, which will equate to a global ambassador's role for the Maker's Mark brand.
Rob Samuels will take over the day-to-day running of Kentucky-based Maker's Mark, but he will retain the title of chief operating officer, the position he took up in October last year.
Samuels Jr has led Maker's Mark for 35 years and his father, Bill Samuels, founded the brand. Bourbon distilling has been in the Samuels family for eight generations. "Bill Samuels reinvented the way bourbon was marketed at a time when the industry needed it most," said Beam Global's CEO and president, Matt Shattock.
The transition comes at a time when Beam Global's future is uncertain. Parent group Fortune Brands plans to separate the drinks unit from its home and golf divisions. Analysts have said that a standalone Beam Global could attract takeover offers due to its range of attractive brands, including Jim Beam Bourbon, Sauza Tequila and Courvoisier Cognac.
Symington Family Estates has followed its purchase of the Cockburn's Port brand last year by selling back most of its stake in Madeira Wine Company (MWC) to the Blandy Group....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Pernod Ricard targets at-home drinking
- Molson Coors names UK & Ireland managing director
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends