AUS: Beam Global Spirits & Wine partners with Coca-Cola Amatil, whither Pacific Beverages?
Coca-Cola Amatil will take sole sales and distribution control of Beam Global's brands in Australia
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has shifted its sales and distribution tie-up in Australia with Pacific Beverages to one of the venture's joint-owners, Coca-Cola Amatil.
The US-based unit of Fortune Brands confirmed today (21 March) that it has signed a ten-year “incentive-based” agreement with Coca-Cola Amatil (CCA) in Australia. The agreement sees CCA continue with the sale and distribution of Beam Global's products that Pacific Beverages - CCA’s joint venture with SABMiller – cemented in 2007.
CCA will also continue to produce Beam Global's RTD brands in the country, where Beam Global is the market leader with Jim Beam and Cola.
The announcement casts further doubt on the viability of the Pacific Beverages joint venture between CCA and SABMiller. A month ago, CCA's managing director, Terry Davis, dismissed reports that the division was approaching the end of its tenure. “There are no changes and there have been no changes to our joint-venture arrangement with SABMiller, full-stop,” Davis said.
Speculation out of Australia earlier this year has suggested that the two have reached an in-principle agreement to dissolve Pacific Beverages, should SABMiller seek to buy out Foster's' Carlton & United Breweries (CUB) business. Foster's is set to demerge its beer and wine units by the end of May.
No-one was available for comment at either CCA or SABMiller when contacted by just-drinks today.
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Guinness Nigeria sees YTD sales, profits tumble
- Bacardi recruits ex-News International exec
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends