US: Beam Global props up Fortune Brands in Q3
The US company said today that operating profit from Beam Global in the three months to the end of September rose by 5.1% year-on-year to US$179.3m. Sales inched up in the period at the unit, by 1.5% to $664.9m.
For the nine months of the year so far, operating income from spirits and wine increased by 9.7% on the corresponding period in 2006, to $500.5, despite flat sales of $1.9bn.
Group operating income for Fortune as a whole in the third quarter slipped, however, by 0.9% to $375.9m, with net sales falling by the same percentage to $2.20bn. Net income for the quarter climbed by 38.1% to $208.9m.
For the nine-month period, operating income slid by 5% to $1.06bn with sales remaining flat at $6.50bn. Net income was down by 2% to $561.1m.
The group credited profit growth from Beam Global for "tempering the impact of the downturn in the US housing market" on its home products brands.
Moving forward, Fortune said it expects to continue "benefiting from global growth of our premium and super-premium spirits brands".
The group said that it expects diluted EPS before charges/gains to be down in the range of low-to-mid-single digits for the full-year.
Fortune Brands' Beam Global Spirits & Wine appeared to be perfectly placed to swoop for Vin & Sprit, but yesterday's announcement that Pernod Ricard had won the Swedish company's hand surprised most o...
Pernod Ricard's success in landing Absolut vodka has cast doubt over the future of Stolichnaya, currently marketed internationally by Pernod but which the French company will now be looking to offload...
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Fortune Brands has posted sliding sales and operating income for its first quarter, as the poor economic climate in the US hit home product sales....
Pernod Ricard has confirmed plans to end its distribution deal with Remy Cointreau across southern central European markets....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week included stories from Beam Global, The UB Group, LVMH, Danone SABMiller and Heineken....
The head of Beam Global Spirits & Wine has said the company has "a lot of dry powder", and will consider other acquisitions following its failure to capture Vin & Sprit earlier this month....
Future Brands has appointed an industry veteran as vice president, sales-west region....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits