UK: Beam Global, Edrington begin alliance ball rolling in UK
The two companies, who make up half of the Maxxium distribution joint venture, said today (2 October) that they would base the alliance in the UK market out of Stirling in Scotland.
Huw Pennell, the current managing director of Maxxium UK, has been appointed as managing director of the alliance for the UK, while Drew Munro, managing director of Beam UK, will continue in his position in the interim and will be part of the steering group in the transition process.
"The collective strength of this new entity means that turnover will be considerably greater than the current Maxxium UK operation, and the increased volume share will establish the new joint venture as the number three spirits distributor in the UK," said Pennell.
Munro added: "Combining the Beam Global and Edrington portfolios creates a truly compelling portfolio of premium spirit brands; these are exciting times for the business and the industry."
In a joint statement, Donard Gaynor, managing director International at Beam Global, and Bill Farrar, group sales & marketing director at Edrington, said: "This is an important step in the transition towards the creation of our future alliance. Clearly we are at the early stages of the process; however, we are delighted with the progress being made so far."
The Beam Global and Edrington alliance, announced last month, goes live at the end of March, with the two companies taking joint ownership of Maxxium businesses in ten markets, including UK, Russia, China and Spain. Beam will then handle distribution for both firms in eight markets, including Australia, New Zealand, Germany and Canada, while Edrington will be responsible for Scandinavian markets, as well as Taiwan and Korea.
Beam Global Spirits & Wine is looking to double exports of its Maker's Mark Bourbon this year, as part of a strategy to reduce its reliance on the US market....
Whyte & Mackay has appointed a new CEO. The Scotch whisky firm, which was bought by India's UB Group in 2007, said today (24 March) that John Beard started in the new position yesterday, replacing Ash...
Foster's has appointed Pernod Ricard USA's general manager for wine and Champagne, Stephen Brauer, as its new managing director of Foster's Americas....
The Edrington Group has announced plans to create two separate sales and distribution teams for South Korea and Taiwan, as part of the Scotch whisky firm's role in the reorganisation of the Maxxium v...
Beam Global is backing its Teacher's Scotch whisky with a GBP1.5m ad spend in the UK this year, and is set to a fresh on-pack offer to create more interest in the brand....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
The Distilled Spirits Industry Council of Australia (DSICA) has followed Foster's Group in pledging to donate any tax refunds they receive in the country to DrinkWise Australia....
The European Forum for Responsible Drinking (EFRD) has released new guidance for drinks companies in the region, covering marketing on the Internet, as well as digital and mobile communications....
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- How good a sustainability fit are ABI and SAB?
- Interview - Heineken global activation director
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Chandon to become "third pillar brand" for MH
- Brown-Forman silent on Southern Comfort report
- Stoli appoints international marketing director
- Moet Hennessy hails Formula One deal for Chandon
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research