RUSSIA: BBH continues figures rise, warns of tougher H2
Baltic Beverages Holding has posted another healthy leap in sales and profits for its latest quarter.
The brewer, which is jointly-owned by Carlsberg and Scottish & Newcastle, said today (1 August) that operating profit for the three months to 30 June was up by 30% on the corresponding period last year, totalling EUR206m (US$281.5m). Sales for the quarter were also up by a third (33.4%) at EUR825m.
For the first six months of this year, operating profit leapt by 48% to EUR295m on the back of sales up 37% to EUR1.3bn.
A mild first quarter in Russia leant itself to grow the beer market in the country, BBH noted, where the company grew its market share to 37.6% from 30.8% a year earlier. In the Baltic states, market share reamined flat at 44.4%, as it did in Ukraine at 18.6%. With volume growth of 55% in Kazakhstan, meanwhile, BBH now accounts for 42% of the country's beer market.
The company warned, however, that the second half of this year "remains challenging with tough comparisons".
"Marketing spend is skewed towards the second half of the year," BBH noted. "This was partly offset by the impact of rising input costs and distribution costs, particularly in the second quarter. This will continue to be a challenge going forward."
A run of price increases are set to be introduced in the second half, BBH added. with capital expenditure for the full year set to hit between EUR500m and EUR600m.
In May, BBH posted a 117% leap in operating profit to EUR88m for the first three months of 2007, on the back of a 44% lift in sales to EUR492m.
I doubt that it is of the Dutch variety, but John Dunsmore, Sir Brian Stewart and the S&N board have certainly displayed courage over the last few months as they have held firm on calls to accept the ...
The sale of Scottish & Newcastle to Carlsberg and Heineken has begun....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Carlsberg has said it "had not fallen out" with Scottish & Newcastle over the way it handled its joint takeover bid for S&N....
Scottish & Newcastle has agreed to an extension of the dealine for a formal takeover bid from Carlsberg and Heineken....
Baltic Beverages Holding is to continue investing in its Belarussian unit, according to local reports....
Carlsberg has refused to be drawn on reports that it, along with takeover partner Heineken, has run into due diligence problems in its move to acquire Scottish & Newcastle....
Scottish & Newcastle has sold Belgium-based Stassen ciders back to the family that originally sold the company....
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Diageo adds to Entourage tie-up - video
- NPD: Brewdog's Born to Die
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review