BELARUS: BBH buys stake in local brewer
Baltic Beverages Holding has made its first direct investment into Belarus with the purchase of a 30% stake in local beer maker Olivaria Brewery.
Olivaria controls 10% of the Belarus beer market, a market that has "strong future potential", BBH said today (21 December).
The Olivaria brewery is situated in the country's capital Minsk and has a capacity of 400,000 hectolitres. BBH said Olivaria planned to increase capacity to 600,000hl next year.
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), which invests in fledgling market economies in Eastern Europe and Central Asia, has been looking for an international partner to invest in Olivaria since 2005. BBH said that EBRD would continue to hold a 21% stake.
A Carlsberg spokesman insisted Belarus was a good place to invest despite the country's tough business environment.
"It's a prosperous environment because beer consumption on a per capita basis is low at 33 litres per person. GDP growth is also quite extraordinary. Over the period from 1996 to 2004, GDP growth was at 6% a year," he told just-drinks.
BBH already exports its flagship Russian brand Baltika to Belarus.
Carlsberg has launched one of its Eastern European beers in India....
Carlsberg has vowed to tough out the Cambodian beer market, despite the struggle to "change the mindset" of the country's consumers....
The possible privatisation of a brewery in Belarus has a slew of global brewers pondering a purchase, according to reports....
The majority owner of Carlsberg is keen for the brewer to grow outside of potential partnerships, according to reports....
Carlsberg has moved to quell reports that it is looking to close one of its two breweries in the UK....
Saku Ölletehas has posted another impressive rise in operating profit....
A report in the UK press today (4 June) has claimed that Carlsberg is looking to close its Tetley brewery in the north of England....
Carlsberg has shown interest in becoming the main sponsor for the Champions League, which is currently sponsored by Heineken....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review