BELARUS: BBH acquisition plans hit government snag
Baltic Beverages Holding (BBH) said its plans to buy Belarus's biggest state-owned brewery have hit a hurdle in the form of the country's government.
BBH announced plans to expand in Belarus last year by taking control of Krinitsa beer company, which has up to 40% of the beer market.
But commenting to Reuters yesterday, Adam Tlekhurai, vice-president of BBH subsidiary Baltika, said the government had failed to meet the conditions of the agreement and refused to give a controlling stake in the Krinitsa brewery in the agreed terms.
"We have incurred big risks. We cannot invest money anymore just like this, without receiving the shares in the plant. We will ask the government to return the money," Tlekhurai said.
Baltika was meant to buy 50% in the brewer for US$50m, a deal that was meant to be finalised in December.
But the government, which owns an 81% of the beer producer, has blocked a decision on a new share issue and frozen the sale of the controlling stake to Baltika.
Reuters reported that the government said negotiations were proceeding normally. However BBh said it had been in no formal talks for two months.
Baltic Beverages Holding AB (BBH) said today that management initiatives within sales and marketing had driven a continuation of the strong growth in both volumes and net sales shown in the second hal...
Baltika has begun supplying beer direct to Ireland....
Baltika has failed in a bid to gain sufficient support from minority shareholders for its proposed acquisition of the Pikra brewery for US$67.5m....
Scottish & Newcastle (S&N) has had its rating upgraded....
Yarpivo has said it expects volume sales for this year to show a 10% increase to between 58m and 59m decalitres....
Baltic Beverage Holdings plans to begin consolidating its Russian assets with the brewer Pikra, a press report said today....
Baltika Brewery has posted its Q1 figures....
Carlsberg said today that global beer volume showed a 20% increase in the first quarter of the year driven by strong organic growth in BBH as well as a considerable contribution from acquisitions, inc...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- US spirits pricing went "a little high" - Diageo
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Diageo H1 sales flatline as Q2 improves
- Carlsberg freezes Russia salaries, new hires
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research