PERU: Bavaria to acquire stake in Backus & Johnston
The Colombian brewing group, Bavaria, has announced that it is to acquire a 22% stake in the Peruvian brewer, Backus & Johnston.
Bavaria is to pay US$420m for the 22% voting stake currently owned by the Peru's Brescia Group, which will give the company nearly 18% of Backus & Johnston's total capital.
Colombia, which is the fourth largest brewer in Latin America, recently had a takeover bid for the Panamanian brewer, Baru, blocked by Panama's regulatory authorities as, combined with its existing Panamanian brewery, Cerveceria Nacional, the acquisition would have given Bavaria a virtual monopoly in the country.
Ironically, the company is now furthering its international expansion plans by acquiring a stake in a company which enjoys a monopoly in the Peruvian beer market. It is offering more than twice the current market value for the Backus shares.
Backus has been seen as a ripe takeover target in the South American beer sector for some time, not least because of its fragmented ownership. In 2001, the Venezuelan brewer, Polar, raised its stake in the group to 22%. There is now speculation that Bavaria's entry into the Peruvian market will precipitate a deal between Polar and Bavaria. Bavaria views the Andean and Central American regions as central to its international expansion aspirations. It already owns the largest brewery in Ecuador.
Companies: Grupo Empresarial Bavaria
Having recorded a third consecutive year of volume, margin and earnings growth, global brewing force, SAB Miller, was in a position to give shareholders a 27% dividend increase and eye the acquisition...
The race for ownership of Empresarial Bavaria could be settled within the next few weeks, according to press reports....
Brewers SABMiller and Heineken are thought to be close to making another proposal to acquire the Latin American business Bavaria....
Speculation is growing that a bid for Empresarial Bavaria could come in the next two weeks....
InBev believes that other companies are more interested in Bavaria than it is....
Rumours that SABMiller is poised to launch a bid for Empresarial Bavaria swept the trading floor yesterday (2 June)....
Shares in the UK-based brewing group, Scottish & Newcastle (S&N), rose on the back of a rumour that the company has pulled out of the race to acquire the Colombian brewer, Bavaria, The Times has repor...
Bavaria has authorised a five-year syndicated loan of up to US$250m....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends