NETHERLANDS: Bavaria, Grolsch, Heineken sued over price fixing
The three brewers, who were hit with fines totalling over EUR270m (US$367.5m) from the EC in April over cartel activities in Holland, have been named in the lawsuit by the Horeca Association, which claims the companies kept beer prices artificially high in the country for years.
Speaking to local reporters, a spokesperson for the association said on Monday (1 October): "We tried to reach a settlement before moving to a lawsuit, but (the brewers) didn't want to talk seriously to us."
InBev, which sidestepped a fine by acting as whistleblower to the EC, is reportedly in talks with the association over a settlement.
The Horeca association is also looking to make the brewers lower their current prices in Holland. "It's incredible that it costs more for bars, who are wholesale buyers, to purchase beer than it does for consumers in the supermarket," the spokesperson added.
When contacted by just-drinks today, Heineken declined to comment on the lawsuit. No-one was available for comment at Grolsch, Bavaria or InBev, however.
Heineken has refused to be drawn on claims that a buyer has come forward for Scottish & Newcastle's stake in India's United Breweries....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Heineken and Diageo have confirmed the location for their new brewery in South Africa....
Asia Pacific Breweries has completed the expansion of its Hatay brewery in Vietnam....
Heineken has announced plans to acquire Drinks Union in the Czech Republic....
Anheuser-Busch has announced plans to launch a craft beer under its Budweiser brand in the US....
Heineken has confirmed that it intends to invest in the Volga brewery in Nizhni Novgorod in Russia....
Carlsberg has said it is "very happy" with the conditions set by the Russian competition commission (FAS) regarding its plans to acquire complete control of the country's brewer Baltika....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future