UK: Bass creates a world first premium frozen lager
Arc "world first"
Retailing at between £2.80 and £3.50 a pint, Arc is already available in some London pubs, but by the end of the year the company is hoping for a nationwide launch into at least 200 pubs across the UK.
Describing the super chilling process Bass said; "The science behind Arc is a clash of temperature and pressure in a dramatic physical event, resulting in crystal growth. Increased pressure lowers the freezing point of liquid, and therefore by releasing the pressure of lager stored at sub zero temperature, crystal growth occurs naturally and carbonation bubbles released on dispense act as a nuclei for crystal growth in a super chilled lager.
New Arc style font
The first stage involves the pint glass being rapidly chilled, then Arc is dispensed at a sub-zero temperature into the rotating glass and while pouring an ultrasonic trigger provides the necessary energy to encourage the development of the soft crystals. Finally condensation on the glass is removed to enhance the presentation of the pint and, says Bass showing a perfect head and the all-important crystal formation.
The dispense system is automatic, just one press of a button and technology takes over, and a new style of font has been created for Bass to showcase the pint's crystal formation during pour.
But, remaining tight lipped about Arcs' development and cost, a spokesperson for Bass told just-drinks: "Bass has invested quite heavily, the costs are confidential, the technology is quite sophisticated and it has been patented as well, and so are protective over it."
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends