US: Barton relaunches controversial bourbon
Barton has announced details about the relaunch of its Ridgewood Reserve 1792 bourbon, following its court case against Brown-Forman. The Chicago-based company is to change the name of the drink to Ridgemont Reserve 1792, and will alter the label on its decanter-shaped bottle.
In a trial last month, Barton was forced to change the name of the bourbon, which it duly did. But, following a threat of appeal on the ruling by Brown-Forman, Barton will also move a small paper label at the base of the bottle to the rear, and will also delete arched lettering above the '1792' on the front of the label, according to the final judgment which was filed yesterday.
"Barton Brands undertook the settlement in the interest of avoiding the market uncertainty which could be created by an appeal by either party," Barton said yesterday in a statement. "By wrapping up this now, we are more able to focus on reintroducing '1792' in the same decanter bottle."
In a lawsuit filed last year, Brown-Forman argued that Ridgewood resembled its own popular Woodford Reserve too closely, and that consumers would confuse the two bourbons. The suit called on Barton to change the bourbon's name and label. Woodford Reserve's bottle carries a small paper label and arched lettering on the front.
Brown-Forman has signed its first Southern Hemisphere wine....
Brown-Forman has announced the next step in its succession plan....
US wine and spirits group, Brown-Forman, has announced a quarterly cash dividend of 24.50 cents per share on Class A and Class B Common Stock, following a board meeting....
Brown-Forman has reported earnings growth of 21% for its fiscal year to 30 April....
The US wines and spirits company, Brown-Forman, has launched its vodka brand, Finlandia, in India. Along with the core brand, three flavoured versions of Finlandia are also to be made available on the...
A bidding war for Allied Domecq looks more likely after Constellation Brands confirmed yesterday that it has approached the Bristol-based spirits company about launching a bid to rival that of Pernod ...
The likelihood of Pernod Ricard remaining the sole bidder for Allied Domecq has reduced over the last two days....
A host of drinks companies spent the weekend mulling over whether to launch counter-bids for Allied Domecq, according to press reports over the last few days....
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- Fireball Recall: Putting Out Fire with Anti-Freeze
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research