UK/JAPAN: Barr Britvic could be takeover target for Suntory - analyst
Would Suntory come knocking at Barr Britvic's door
Reports yesterday (11 December) said that Suntory is eyeing a public listing for its soft drinks and food unit next year to fund international acquisitions. The company did not deny the reports today, but said that nothing has been confirmed.
Analyst Damian McNeela, at Panmure Gordon, said that “should the UK be a market it (Suntory) wishes to enter then of the two possible targets we believe that the enlarged Barr Britvic would be its preference rather than Nichols”.
Suntory is already the Pepsi bottler for Japan and in October entered into a JV with PepsiCo in Vietnam, MnNeela said in a note.
“As such the acquisition of Barr Britvic could provide a platform for further consolidation of PepsiCo’s bottling operations. In addition Suntory bought Orangina in 2009 which is currently licenced to AG Barr,” he added.
“There would also be further international growth opportunities presented by brands such as Fruit Shoot.”
Ray Rowlands of Drinksinfo looks at the European soft drinks landscape as the region continues to suffer the aftershock of global recession. ...
Britvic's sidelined merger with AG Barr is likely to go ahead despite a new cost-savings plan from Britvic that suggests it could go it alone, an analyst has said....
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- US wholesalers point to Absolut decline - report
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US
- Carbonates in India