UK/JAPAN: Barr Britvic could be takeover target for Suntory - analyst
Would Suntory come knocking at Barr Britvic's door
Reports yesterday (11 December) said that Suntory is eyeing a public listing for its soft drinks and food unit next year to fund international acquisitions. The company did not deny the reports today, but said that nothing has been confirmed.
Analyst Damian McNeela, at Panmure Gordon, said that “should the UK be a market it (Suntory) wishes to enter then of the two possible targets we believe that the enlarged Barr Britvic would be its preference rather than Nichols”.
Suntory is already the Pepsi bottler for Japan and in October entered into a JV with PepsiCo in Vietnam, MnNeela said in a note.
“As such the acquisition of Barr Britvic could provide a platform for further consolidation of PepsiCo’s bottling operations. In addition Suntory bought Orangina in 2009 which is currently licenced to AG Barr,” he added.
“There would also be further international growth opportunities presented by brands such as Fruit Shoot.”
Ray Rowlands of Drinksinfo looks at the European soft drinks landscape as the region continues to suffer the aftershock of global recession. ...
Britvic's sidelined merger with AG Barr is likely to go ahead despite a new cost-savings plan from Britvic that suggests it could go it alone, an analyst has said....
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research