FRANCE: Ban threatened on French petrol station alcohol sales
The French government is planning to impose a total ban on the sale of alcohol at the country's 13,300 petrol stations as of part of a drive to promote road safety and reduce accidents.
Currently in France, alcohol can be sold at filling stations between 6am and 10pm but is prohibited beween 10pm and 6am. However, the government argues that the present rules can encourage motorists to consume levels of alcohol which are incompatible with driving.
Special arrangements would be made for filling stations in rural areas which also serve as convenience stores.
A spokesman for France's inter-governmental commission on road safety told just-drinks today (14 February) that the total ban on alcohol in filling stations would be the subject of a government bill and that it was impossible to say when it would become law.
Last week, the UK government published a consultation document which many believe to be the prelude to tighter legislation on alcoholic drinks. In this month's Just the Answer interview, Jeremy Beadle...
The 61st World Health Assembly published its resolution on "Strategies to reduce the harmful use of alcohol" last month. Ben Cooper examines the resolution and the response from public health agencies...
The Wirtz Beverage Group has appointed a leadership team for its national portfolio of wine, spirit and beer distributorships....
Central European Distribution Corporation has posted a healthy lift in both sales and profits for the first half of this year....
Spain will dethrone France as the world's leading wine producer by 2015, according to a study French social research body, CREDOC (Centre de Recherche pour l'Etude et l'Observation des Conditions de V...
The Castel Group, France's leading wine producer, is to open the first phase of its new bottling plant, which the company claims will be Europe's biggest, next month....
Vinmonopolet has posted a slight lift in sales for the first six months of this year....
Independent Brewers United has extended the deadline for its tender offer to acquire Pyramid Breweries by 48 hours....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends