RUSSIA: Baltika shareholder drops lawsuit
A minority shareholder in Russian brewer Baltika has withdrawn its lawsuit against the company.
Russian company ElectroMir, which owns 50 shares in the brewer, had been seeking to annul the result of an EGM on 7 July.
The meeting was called to vote on Baltika's proposed purchase of a 70% stake in Pikra brewery for US$67m. Both breweries are owned by Carlsberg and Scottish & Newcastle's joint venture, Baltic Beverages Holding, and the purchase was to be part of the company's integration plans in Russia.
The vote, which had been recommended by Baltika's independent non-executive directors, was defeated at the EGM. ElectroMir had been seeking the annulment of the result claiming that another shareholder who had voted in favour of the purchase at the EGM, Hartwall Capital, was an affiliated party of S&N.
"The lawsuit contained no reference to any specific legal regulation or law that was allegedly violated by Baltika's board of directors," the head of Baltika's legal department, Anton Rogachevsky, said.
A spokesperson for Baltika told just-drinks: "Given that the resolution was defeated, we can only assume that ElectroMir had brought this lawsuit in the first place to create as much negative publicity for us as possible."
The court accepted the request and closed the case, Baltika said.
Carlsberg said today that global beer volume showed a 20% increase in the first quarter of the year driven by strong organic growth in BBH as well as a considerable contribution from acquisitions, inc...
Carlsberg has appointed a managing director for its Chinese operations....
Carlsberg has increased its ownership in Carlsberg Brewery Malaysia Berhad from 49.66% to 51%. The investment amounts to approximately US$6m....
Baltika has bought into a Siberian brewer....
The Bosnian government has put a majority stake in the country's brewery Banjalucka Pivara up for sale. Previous efforts to privatise the brewer have failed....
Hite Brewery Co. has signed a preliminary agreement to acquire Jinro....
Carlsberg Sverige is looking to introduce a lemon-flavoured beer to the Swedish market....
South Korea's anti-trust watchdog is to check Hite Brewery's claims to soju maker Jinro, following its victory in last week's auction....
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report