RUSSIA: Baltika sees merger boost Q1
Baltika has credited its "successful merger" with three other Russian breweries for a strong performance in the first quarter.
The Russian company, which is owned by Carlsberg and Scottish & Newcastle's joint venture Baltic Beverages Holding, said yesterday that sales in the three-month period were up 46% to EUR408.6m (US$550.8m). In volume terms, sales increased 41.6% to 8.7m hectolitres.
Net profit, meanwhile, leapt 54% year-on-year to EUR57.m.
"The company's high financial results and significant market share gain in Q1 were made possible by implementation of the development strategy based on innovations and power brands and by the effective distribution and sales as a result of Baltika merger," noted Baltika president Anton Artemiev.
The brewer also noted a 20% climb in export sales to 0.4m hectolitres, thanks in part to the introduction of its brands to Switzerland and Mexico. In its domestic market, Baltika claimed its market share rose by 2.6% in the quarter to 37.5%.
Last year, Baltika finally merged with Pikra, Vena and Yarpivo breweries, also owned by BBH. The merger had been held up by minority shareholders, but finally went through in August.
Scottish & Newcastle faces a tough battle to defend itself from the joint takeover launched by Carlsberg and Heineken. But today's announcement of a legal challenge to Carlsberg over alleged breac...
Carlsberg has confirmed that brewery closures in Europe are on the cards due to the decline in beer consumption, adding it is using a recently closed local site to build "a new city"....
SABMiller has stayed silent on reports that it may be taking advice from banks over a possible bid for Scottish & Newcastle....
JP Morgan has started coverage of the European beverage sector, with the bank's top pick being the UK-based brewer SABMiller....
Scottish & Newcastle has said that it has "nothing to talk about" with prospective buyers Carlsberg and Heineken....
Baltic Beverages Holding has posted another strong set of figures, with third quarter sales and operating profit both registering impressive increases....
Carlsberg has reported double digit growth in revenues and operating profit for its first nine months, as the company benefited from higher sales volumes and positive results from its "Excellence" pro...
Carlsberg is looking to invest in its Serbian unit next year, according to local reports....
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- How good a sustainability fit are ABI and SAB?
- Interview - Heineken global activation director
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Chandon to become "third pillar brand" for MH
- Brown-Forman silent on Southern Comfort report
- Stoli appoints international marketing director
- Moet Hennessy hails Formula One deal for Chandon
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research