RUSSIA: Baltika Breweries brings Carlsberg's Somersby cider to Russia
Somersby launched in Russia
Baltika is aiming Somersby at urban-dwelling men and women between 25 and 35 years of age.
A 0.5-litre bottle of the 4.7% abv cider costs RUB48 (US$1.50) at retail and Baltika aims to use its dominance of the beer sector and strong distribution network to build a credible cider category in Russia.
"The cider market is successfully developing in Europe, while in Russia this product is mostly represented by expensive imported brands," said Denis Sherstennikov, vice president of marketing for Baltika, which is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Carlsberg.
"Analysing current market trends, we think this is a very promising and attractive category for Baltika," said Sherstennikov.
"Somersby is another step towards broadening Baltika’s non-beer portfolio, which is a key aim of the company, in addition to the continuous development of the beer sector."
The cider is produced in St Petersburg and will be available in Russia by the end of the year.
Part three of our annual review of the year brings us Chris Mercer's look at how 2010 has treated the world's brewers....
M&A activity within the beer sector this year has been limited to just the one big transaction, in Mexico. Larry Nelson believes, however, that 2010 could have served as the calm before the storm, wit...
Carlsberg-owned Kronenbourg is recruiting 45 additional staff at at its brewery in Obernai in eastern France as it looks to increase exports....
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Diageo silent on United Spirits job losses
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends