UK: Ballantine's names master blender
Ballantine's has appointed a new master blender.
The Pernod Ricard-owned Scotch whisky brand announced today (2 October) that Sandy Hyslop will assume the position, becoming only the fifth master blender in the company's 175-year history. Hyslop replaces Robert Hicks, who has held the position since 1994.
Having started in the whisky industry in 1983 as a quality controller in Dundee, Hyslop began an apprenticeship under Ballantine's master blender, Jack Goudy in 1992. He was subsequently appointed blender at the Ballantine's headquarters in Dumbarton in 1995.
"It's a huge honour to join the long and distinguished line of Ballantine's master blenders before me," said Hyslop. "George Ballantine's knowledge of blending has been handed down from generation to generation and I'm proud to be the next master blender responsible for upholding the heritage and traditions associated with the range.
The Ballantine's range, which includes Ballantine's Finest and four aged whiskies of between 12- and 30-years-old, sells around 5.3m nine-litre cases a year.
In spite of the news that the Indian government has once again eschewed tariff reform, Richard Woodard sees plenty of export growth potential for Scotch whisky, both in emerging and established market...
Sweden's Finance Ministry has confirmed that an official close to the planned privatisation of V&S Group has resigned....
Finnish state-owned beverage alcohol group Altia Corporation today (21 March) confirmed that it is eyeing the Nordic operations of Absolut vodka owner V&S Group....
V&S Group is mulling whether to launch a television push behind flagship vodka Absolut in the UK....
Russian Standard Vodka has appointed a general director to oversee expansion both at home and abroad. Carlo Radicati will assume the position at the company, which is owned by Russian billionaire Rous...
Pernod Ricard has unveiled a line extension to its rum brand Mailbu....
Pernod Ricard has lined up two flavour extensions for its Kahlua coffee liqueur....
Bacardi is looking to take its bid for the Spanish rights to Havana Club rum to the country's Supreme Court....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018