PERU: Backus probed for anti-competitive practice
The Peruvian brewer Union de Cervecerias Peruanas Backus & Johnston SAA, or Backus, is under investigation from the country's consumer protection agency Indecopi, following allegations from rival Latin American brewer Ambev it is involved in anti-competitive practices.
The allegations revolve around the issue of beer bottles. All brewers in Peru use the same bottles to prevent competitors from smashing up bottles and allowing increased recycling.
Ambev is currently building a US$40m brewery in Peru, which it hopes to be operational this year. However it claims Backus is trying to "impede or unjustifiably delay" its entry by stopping it from making the beer bottles.
In order to manufacture the bottles, Ambev must join a private sector industry committee. However the committee, dominated by Backus, has so far disallowed AmBev from joining.
A decision from Indecopi is expected in 120 days.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Functional soft drinks are relatively undeveloped in Latin America in comparison with Europe but there is significant growth potential. Hope Lee of industry analysts, Euromonitor International, examin...
The pan-Latin American beer force AmBev has opened a new brewery in Peru....
AmBev has announced the sales volumes for the third quarter of this year....
The investment bank, Merrill Lynch, has warned that a takeover of the Brazilian brewer Kaiser by a large international group could lead to some profit-taking in the shares of the market leader AmBev, ...
Companhia de Bebidas das Americas (AmBev) has reported a 92% year-on-year leap in EBITDA for the second quarter of this year....
AmBev's Peruvian unit has launched a new bottle in the country....
Companhia de Bebidas das Americas or AmBev has been boosted by a strong recovery of its Brazilian beer unit and reported a 11% jump in second quarter beer volumes....
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research