US: Bacardi to launch low-calorie rum
Bacardi is to launch a low calorie flavoured rum in an attempt to take advantage of the growing sales in diet and light beverages in other drinks categories.
Bacardi will launch Island Breeze nationwide in May. It will contain around 48 calories per shot, half the calories of regular rum or vodka.
It will contain no added sugar and will be sweetened with the artificial sweetener sucralose.
Island Breeze will also be 18% alcohol, instead of the standard 40% for a spirit.
"Island Breeze by Bacardi will revolutionize the spirits industry, doing what the first light beer did to the beer industry, and what the first diet cola did to the soft drink industry, "says Alfredo Piedra, chairman of global new product development for Bacardi.
The comany pointed out that four out of the current top-selling five beers in the US are light. Likewise, diet colas' share of the cola market has grown steadily since the mid 1990s and many analysts believe one day it will overtake regular soda.
Island Breeze will be available throughout the US in May, in three flavors - Key Lime, Coconut and Wild Berry.
"Island Breeze not only tested strongly with vodka and rum consumers, but also with women who enjoy other alcohol beverages," said Paul de la Torre, global marketing manager for Bacardi new product development.
The suggested retail price is approximately $13.99 for a 750 ml. bottle.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Bacardi has announced a succession plan for the company's chairmanship....
Bacardi has unveiled the identity of its new CEO and president....
The chairman and chief executive of Bacardi International Ltd. is to retire, according to press reports....
Bacardi Limited and The Glenmorangie Company have said their UK and European distribution agreements will come to an end on 30th June 2005. Moet Hennessy, which acquired The Glenmorangie Company at th...
Alcohol intake amongst young female adults in the UK continues to rise and shows no signs of abating, according to a recent report....
Cobra Beer has launched an alcohol-free beer in South Africa, the UK and in its European and Asian export markets....
Brown-Forman Beverages has replaced Bacardi as its spirits distributor in Canada....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Diageo teams Johnnie Walker up with Entourage
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research