UK: Bacardi to launch cream liqueur brand
By Pat Brazzier of P.A.S.H. Beverage Research
Bacardi-Martini is to test 'Kalyr', a cream liqueur (12.5%/70.0cl) made from exotic fruit and cream, in Northern Ireland before being launched throughout the UK.
The new product is aimed at 25- to 45-year-old women and, although its alcohol content is lower, it will be in competition with Baileys and Tia Lusso (both 17%).
Daigeo's Baileys and Allied Domecq's Tia Lusso are the UK's leading cream liqueurs.
Last week, however, Philip Bowman, Allied Domecq's chief executive said aggressive pricing by Diageo had attacked Tia Lusso in a move designed to kill off the brand.
As a result, the budgeted move into profit for Tia Lusso in the fourth year after its launch had now been pushed back by at least a year, but the company insisted that the market was big enough for both Baileys and Tia Lusso to "make decent money".
Diageo has refuted the claims saying consumer pricing was driven by retailers.
As Pernod Ricard, Allied Domecq and Fortune Brands close in on the biggest drinks industry deal since the sale of Seagram, opinion about how the deal will be structured and who stands to win and lose ...
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Drinks producer and distributor Todhunter International has said that its controlling shareholder, CL Financial, is interested in acquiring some of the brands of Allied Domecq that may become availabl...
Pernod Ricard has had its rating raised....
Brown-Forman Beverages has replaced Bacardi as its spirits distributor in Canada....
Bacardi USA., Inc. has appointed Sex and the City actress Kim Cattrall as the celebrity spokeswoman for its new FAB, Island Breeze....
Allied Domecq has added a new flavour to its Malibu range. The company said yesterday that it would be launching Malibu Passion Fruit in the US from April 15....
Anheuser-Busch has revealed plans to launch a new variant in its Bacardi Silver range....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)