US: Bacardi to close rum distillery in Nassau
Bacardi has disclosed plans to close its rum distillery in the Bahamas due to changes in trade agreements and competition.
The company said yesterday (23 August) that its Nassau plant, which manufactures Bacardi rums for shipment to Europe, will close by April 2009. The majority of its operations will be transferred to its Catano site in Puerto Rico as well as its other facilities across the US.
Bacardi Bahamas facility director Felix Mateo said: "The change in business conditions and economies of scale were significant factors in the decision to prepare to cease operations here in Nassau. It is very difficult to make a decision like this, but it is the right decision for the company."
Bacardi, which is privately held, also has facilities in Florida and Mexico. Its brands include the Bacardi rum, Grey Goose vodka and Dewar's scotch whisky brands.
Premium and super-premium brands have been important drivers in the growing vodka category for some time but among the key trends forecast in a recent report on the vodka market from just-drinks is th...
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Anheuser-Busch and Miller Brewing have been hit with subpoenas in the US over their sales and marketing of their caffeinated alcoholic drinks brands....
Global Brands, the UK drinks group which markets the VK Vodka Kick brand, has launched a ready-to-drink (RTD) Mojito cocktail....
Diageo has handed the sales, distribution and marketing of two of its smaller spirits brands in the UK to Global Brands....
Diageo is launching a music-themed campaign for its market-leading vodka brand, Smirnoff, in the US....
Fortune Brands is the favourite of four remaining candidates to buy state-owned Vin & Sprit, according to sources in Stockholm....
Havana Club International , the company which manages Cuban-produced rum Havana Club worldwide, has announced that sales have passed 3m cases, a rise of 15% over the past year....
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Britvic appoints SABMiller's Dunn as CFO
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Q2 drags on half-year for Anheuser-Busch InBev
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research