UPDATE: Bacardi to build new Scotch plant
Bacardi is looking to focus on the premium status of its Dewar's Scotch whisky portfolio, with the opening of a new facility in Scotland.
The company confirmed today (8 November) that it has acquired a 106-acre area of land in the country to build a second maturation, blending and storage facility for John Dewar & Sons, its Scotch whisky unit.
Speaking to just-drinks, Dewar's managing director Garry Gray confirmed the plans, adding that the growth of demand in the Far East fueled Bacardi's decision to acquire the plot.
"The investment is part of a US$250m programme which Bacardi will phase in over the next ten years," Gray said. "We're seeing strong growth for our premium portfolio in the Far East, particularly in China, where consumers are becoming more and more interested in premium spirit products, and India, where Scotch's popularity will grow following the recent tarif abolitions."
Gray declined to comment on the specific financial details behind the purchase, saying only that the "majority" of the $250m investment would go into acquiring and building up the new facility, located in South Lanarkshire in Scotland.
Earlier this year, Diageo announced that it was making "one of the biggest ever (investments) in the (Scotch) industry", pumping around $195m into its operations in the country.
"Our investment is very much in line with Diageo's," Gray added. "They're seeing the same growth trends as we are."
Earlier this month, Bacardi signed a one-year "multi-faceted" marketing agreement with UK dance act Groove Armada. The announcement made headlines, with some commentators suggesting the deal was anoth...
Last year, just-drinks took part in a working party, set up following the World Whiskies Conference in 2007, to look at how to raise the profile of Scotch whisky. At this year's conference, held in Gl...
Malt whisky continues to outpace the growth of blended Scotch and its leading brands are putting in stellar performances. But as a new report from just-drinks explains, a closer look reveals a categor...
Scotch whisky export value and volume reached record levels last year, according to industry figures released today (30 April)....
Inver House Distillers has reported a healthy set of results for its latest fiscal year....
The Edrington Group has released its oldest ever offering of Highland Park in the UK market, as part of its core range of single malts....
Davide Campari-Milano has announced details of its latest dividend payment....
Pernod Ricard has launched the first website for its Scotch whisky brand Royal Salute, with "striking" visuals which, the company says, is designed to emphasise the brands prestigious and luxury statu...
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research