INDIA: Bacardi silent on Indian whisky rumour
Bacardi Ltd reportedly eyeing acquisitions for Indian market
Bacardi has declined to comment on a report that it is seeking acquisitions to expand its presence in India's whisky market.
The CEO of Bacardi's India business, Mahesh Madhavan, was quoted by the country's Business Standard newspaper last week as saying that the company is looking for acquisitions in dark spirits categories in the country.
A spokesperson for Bacardi declined to confirm or deny Madhavan's comments when contacted by just-drinks at the end of last week. However, the spokesperson said that the Bermuda-based drinks giant is open to acquisitions in general: "Bacardi Ltd has a great track record in acquiring and nurturing brands the world over, and always remains open-minded to any opportunities presented in the marketplace," she said.
India's spirits market is considered to have high potential, but it is dominated by dark spirits. Whisky alone constitutes around 60% of the 200m-case spirits market and Vijay Mallya's United Spirits group accounts for around two thirds of whisky sales by volume in the country.
Bacardi already has a limited presence in India's whisky sector via its John Dewar & Sons Scotch whisky subsidiary.
Bacardi has started a television and cinema advertising campaign in the UK for its namesake rum brand....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends