GLOBAL: Bacardi sets 'ambitious' goals with new sustainability push
Bacardi has set itself targets for cutting its environmental footprint by 2022
Bacardi has announced details of an “ambitious” new initiative to cut its environmental footprint, with a raft of global goals it aims to reach by 2022.
The campaign – called 'Good Spirited: Building a Sustainable Future' – is being launched across the 150 markets where the group operates, which includes around 75 offices and 27 manufacturing and bottling facilities, it said today (4 February). “Our goal is to return to the environment at least as much as we take away,” said Eric Kraus, Bacardi's chief communications and corporate affairs officer.
The initiative, which the company described as 'ambitious', focusses on goals in three areas: sourcing, packaging and operations. Among these, Bacardi said it aims to get 40% of the sugarcane-derived products, used to make its premium rums, from certified, sustainable sources by 2017 – and 100% by 2022.
On packaging, the company plans to reduce the weight of its materials by 10% by 2017 and 15% by 2022. Bacardi also said it aims to cut its water use by 55% and greenhouse gas emissions by 50%.
Ed Shirley, CEO of the Bermuda-headquartered firm, added:“Protecting the natural resources we use to create our brands, at every step along the value chain, is central to our corporate responsibility. We’ve always set the bar high. Now, we’re taking our solid, sustainable foundation to the next level.”
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research