NEW ZEALAND: Bacardi pulls Independent action
Bacardi International has settled its legal action against Independent Liquor (NZ) Ltd. The drinks giant has paid A$220,000 to Independent Liquor to settle legal action it took against Independent Liquor and its Australian subsidiary, Independent Distillers (Australia) Pty Ltd.
The legal action was taken in Australia as Bacardi claimed that Independent's product "Kristov Vodka Cruiser" was a copy of its own "Bacardi Breezer".
In a statement, Independent Liquor said that Bacardi had waited for nearly two years after the release of Kristov Vodka Cruiser in Australia to bring the action against Independent and did not take any action in the other twenty countries in which Kristov Vodka Cruiser is sold.
Although Independent pointed out this inconsistency, Bacardi continued legal action in Australia for several years. In late 2004 Bacardi decided to withdraw but under Australian law was obliged to pay Independent's legal costs.
Kristov Vodka Cruiser remains Australia's largest selling bottled RTD brand, Independent noted.
It outsells Bacardi Breezer in Australia by approximately five to one.
Flavoured vodkas have been a major success story in the US where they have prospered on the back of strong sector growth and premiumisation. With European markets also showing consistent growth and so...
As Pernod Ricard, Allied Domecq and Fortune Brands close in on the biggest drinks industry deal since the sale of Seagram, opinion about how the deal will be structured and who stands to win and lose ...
As the US distillers' association, Discus, for the first time in its history publishes its annual report into spirits advertising, which includes complaints against its self-regulatory code, David Rob...
The board of directors of Bacardi Limited have completed the company's chairman succession plan by electing Facundo L. Bacardi chairman of the board effective immediately....
Spirits producer Bacardi has been ordered by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to comply with the Clean Water Act with regard to waste water discharges into the Atlantic Ocean from its dist...
Pernod Ricard is pushing the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) to release more info about one of its competitors, according to press reports....
Bacardi has announced a succession plan for the company's chairmanship....
Bacardi has unveiled the identity of its new CEO and president....
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends