UK: Bacardi Oakheart adds spice to rum sector
Bacardi launches Oakheart in the UK
Bacardi has launched Oakheart to jostle with (Captain) Morgan's Spiced and Sailor Jerry for a slice of the hotly-tipped spiced rum market in the UK.
Pitched as "rugged" and "masculine", Bacardi Oakheart will hit UK shores in September, backed by a GBP3m (US$4.9m) marketing campaign, Bacardi said today (12 August). Print, digital and outdoor ads, as well as samplings, will be aimed almost exclusively at young men.
Bacardi believes that its spiced, rum-based spirit drink - at 35% abv, it cannot be officially called a rum under EU law - will challenge the likes of Diageo's Morgan's Spiced amid growing consumer demand for dark rum drinks. "Currently worth just under GBB34m (US$55.3m) in the off-trade, it is predicted the spiced rum category will grow to be worth GBP150m in the UK off-trade over the next five years," Bacardi said.
"Bacardi Oakheart fills a gap in the market for a spiced rum brand with a distinctly masculine, smoky edge that appeals directly to guys," said Bacardi's marketing director, Liam Newton. The group is keen for consumers to use the slogan "Oak and Coke" at the bar.
In the off-trade, a one-litre bottled of Oakheart will launch with a recommended retail price of GBP22.99, with a 70cl bottle priced at GBP17.39. Currently, Morgan's Spiced is on promotion in the UK's largest supermarket chain, Tesco, at GBP16 for one litre. Outside of promotion, it was GBP20.89, the retailer states on its website. A 70cl bottle of Sailor Jerry, meanwhile, is currently GBP14, but was GBP17.99 outside of promotion.
Diageo's Ciroc Peach...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts