GLOBAL: Bacardi looks to Jamie Oliver to 'democratise' cocktails
Bacardi has signed a "multi-year" deal with Jamie Oliver
Bacardi is hoping that Jamie Oliver can “democratise” the art of cocktail making with the launch of a new YouTube drinks channel, a senior executive at the spirits firm has said.
The Bermuda-headquartered group has agreed a “multi-year” tie-up with the chef and entrepreneur to feature its brands on his new Drinks Tube channel.
Speaking to just-drinks at a launch event for the channel in London yesterday (29 April), Bacardi’s chief marketing officer, Andy Gibson, said: “We want Jamie to democratise cocktails the way he democratised food and the kitchen. We want Jamie to totally demystify what is it to make a great cocktail at home.”
Financial terms of the tie-up between Oliver and Bacardi were not disclosed.
Earlier, the chef, who already has the channel FoodTube, told guests the consumer-focussed portal will feature the “best mixologists and representers on the planet”. He added: “This ain’t about drinking games and taking alcohol to the place where we don’t want to be. It’s about... putting great ideas out there, telling stories, democratising.”
The channel also features beer and wine-related content.
Oliver revealed he was a “latecomer” to the world of drinks. “Even though I was born into a pub... unforgivably, I didn’t understand alcohol as a mix until about a year and a half, two years ago,” he said.
But he added: "They (mixologists) are just like chefs, the passion, they care and are crazy... just like chefs."
Bacardi has also launched a website - mixedcocktails.com - and an app as part of its bid to encourage more people to make cocktails.
Last year, in an exclusive interiew with just-drinks, Bacardi's then-CEO, Ed Shirley, called on the whole industry to help improve consumer knowledge of cocktails.
Spirits (excluding FABs & Fort Wine) Market in West Europe to 2019: Market Guide
Synopsis Canadean’s, "Spirits (excluding FABs & Fort Wine) Market in West Europe to 2019: Market Guide" provides a snapshot of the Spirits (excluding FABs & Fort Wine) consumption in West Europe. The ...read more
Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offering...
Bacardi Limited - Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides a comprehensive insight into the company’s history, corporate strategy, business structure and operations. The report contains a detailed SWOT...
As a longstanding leader in alcoholic drinks in Austria, Bacardi-Martini Austria GmbH benefits from the great popularity of its strong international brands and keeps investing heavily in promotional a...
The world’s seventh largest spirits company, Bacardi also ranks 14th in the global wine market. This profile analyses Bacardi’s efforts to address the significant challenges facing its core fortified ...
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- The Glenlivet leapfrogs Glenfiddich
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Minimum unit pricing fails to get European backing
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review