BERMUDA/NZ: Bacardi in formal 42 Below offer
Bacardi has formally tabled its takeover offer for New Zealand spirits group 42 Below.
The privately-owned spirits giant announced its move for 42 Below last month when it set out its plans to buy the company for US$91m.
Bacardi said late last night (2 November) that its bid, worth NZ$0.77 (US$0.52) a share was a "healthy" 35% premium to the value of shares in 42 Below when it announced its planned acquisition on 26 September.
"42 Below has done a fantastic job of boldly establishing this brand as 'New Zealand in a bottle' and we are excited about its growth prospects," said Andreas Gembler, president and CEO of Bacardi. "To make 42 Below a global brand requires substantial financial support, access to world wide distribution and marketing infrastructure which Bacardi is eager to offer."
42 Below chief executive Geoff Ross added: "Our national vodka brand can have the opportunity to become a global Kiwi icon."
The 42 Below brand, first sold in 1999, has become a leading super-premium vodka, particularly in the Asia-Pacific region. It joins a Bacardi stable that already includes Grey Goose vodka, which the company bought for a reported US$2bn in 2004.
The vodka sector’s capacity for growth, particularly in the US, appears unbounded, and the big spirits players are all keen to gain full advantage. Major companies have recently swooped for the Svedka...
Bacardi has been engaged in a legal battle with Pernod Ricard over the rights to the Havana Club trademark for years. But Patience Gould believes the US-based spirits giant is shooting itself in the f...
Vin & Sprit has lined up a fresh global advertising campaign for its Absolut vodka brand....
Bacardi has appointed a new CFO....
V&S Group has reported double digit growth in both operating profit and profit after tax in its first quarter, despite a fall in net sales, which were hit by exchange rate fluctuations...
A milk beer, a caffeine-infused vodka and water with flower essences are some of the new drinks products launched this month....
Belvédère has completed its purchase of Florida Distillers Company from V&S Group....
Luctor International is bringing a new vodka flavour to its Van Gogh brand in the US....
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Wm Grant redesigns Glenfiddich 21yo Gran Reserva
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China