BERMUDA/NZ: Bacardi acquires 42 Below
Bacardi has announced that it is to acquire the New Zealand spirits company 42 Below in an all-cash deal valuing the company at NZ138m (US$91m).
The Bermuda-based spirits giant will be acquiring the 42 Below brands, which include four flavoured vodkas - Manuka Honey, Kiwifruit, Feijoa and Passionfruit - along with the newly developed products South Gin, Stil Vodka, Seven Tiki White Rum, Tahiti Dark Rum and 420 spring water.
Bacardi said it had the support of the founding shareholders, major shareholders and employees of 42 Below, adding that several of those shareholders had entered lock-in agreements to accept the Bacardi offer in respect of their combined holding of 53.2% of 42 Below. Bacardi expects to launch a formal takeover offer in the coming weeks in accordance with the New Zealand Stock Exchange rules.
"Bacardi is acquiring young premium brands in 42 Below," said Bacardi president and CEO Andreas Gembler. "With substantial investment by our company, 42 Below brands show long-term potential in the global spirits industry with a particular focus on the growing Asia Pacific markets."
Launched in 1998, the 42 Below premium vodka brand has shown strong volume growth. Bacardi said the brand has an innovative and irreverent image and had earned a strong reputation for authentic New Zealand purity, quality and exceptional taste.
The New Zealand company is listed on the New Zealand Stock Exchange and the brand is currently distributed in more than 25 countries. In fact, 42 Below was judged to be New Zealand's fastest growing exporter, fastest growing listed company and fastest growing company overall by Deloitte in its 2005 Fast 50 study.
"This is a great development," said 42 Below's executive chairman Grant Baker. "We believe Bacardi, known for its track record in growing acquired brands and substantially investing behind them, is the best company to grow our products in the global spirits market."
The New Zealand premium vodka 42 Below has blazed quite a trail over the past few years, even by the standards of this vibrant and growing category. With Bacardi poised to complete its acquisition of ...
Riding the twin waves of a booming premium spirits market and growth in Tequila, The Patrón Spirits Company has made great strides in a short space of time. In this month's Just the Answer interview, ...
While the hip vodka brand 42 Below has made quite a splash in the premium vodka market, it is the brand’s growth potential in this vibrant category that tempted Bacardi to part with US$91m, and few ob...
India's UB Group is close to finally sealing the takeover of UK distiller Whyte & Mackay, just-drinks understands. UB, headed by Indian billionaire Vijay Mallya, has pursued Whyte & Mackay since start...
Global spirits force Diageo has launched a lime-infused version of its premium gin Tanqueray in the US....
Absolut vodka owner V&S Group has appointed a new chairman....
Finnish state-owned beverage alcohol group Altia Corporation today (21 March) confirmed that it is eyeing the Nordic operations of Absolut vodka owner V&S Group....
Castle Brands has lost its second finance chief in under five months....
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- What's in store for Super Bowl 50 - Focus
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- Carlsberg's Q4 & Full Year - Preview
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- William Grant & Sons restructures US team
- Diageo completes wine category exit in US
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- Beam Suntory targets Kenya with Edrington/FIX
- Diageo's Oban Little Bay single malt Scotch - NPD
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research