US: B-F closes cut-price Herradura deal
Brown-Forman has finally completed its purchase of Tequila producer Casa Herradura.
The US wine and spirits group said the purchase will come in US$100m lower than originally announced. Brown-Forman will pay $776m for all of the assets of Herradura, instead of the originally agreed $876m. The price cut came about "by mutual agreement of the parties", Brown-Forman said yesterday (18 January).
"We are very excited about this acquisition which gives us two strong brands competing at the super-premium and premium levels in the world's largest Tequila markets - the US and Mexico," said Brown-Forman CEO Paul Varga.
"We believe Herradura, with its rich heritage, is a jewel in the Mexican Tequila category. We expect these brands will help us advance our entire business within the growing Hispanic population of the US, and that the Casa Herradura infrastructure in Mexico gives Brown-Forman a strong business platform in yet another important international market."
Brown-Forman, whose financial year ends on 30 April, noted that earnings dilution from the purchase should be between $0.14 and $0.18 per share for its fiscal year, an increase on the earlier estimate of $0.08 to $0.12.
This is a result, Brown-Forman said, of expected lower profitability of the business in Mexico, higher upfront transition costs - including the purchase of US distributor inventory - and the effect of amortising the buy-out of US distribution rights for the Tequila Herradura brand over the next five years.
These higher costs are anticipated to be partially offset by lower interest expenses.
Established as the dominant force in its domestic wines and spirits market and as an exporter to other African countries, South African group Distell is now aiming to raise its profile in global marke...
The Swedish spirits producer V&S Group is up for sale and, with the global premium vodka brand Absolut as its prime asset, has attracted much attention from major international players. Jeremy Cunning...
Double digit growth of the company's leading spirits brands helped Brown-Forman Corporation report record earnings for its full year....
Consumers last year continued to flock to more expensive premium and flavoured products, according to the recently published Adams Liquor Handbook 2007....
Brown-Forman has unveiled a flavour extension for its Finlandia Vodka brand in the UK....
Anheuser-Busch has added to its spirits portfolio in the US, with a vodka distribution deal in the north-east of the country....
Anheuser-Busch has confirmed plans to distribute Margaritaville Tequila in the US state of Massachusetts....
Central European Distribution Corporation has lined up a distribution agreement in Poland....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Diageo's Guinness Rye Pale Ale - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages