US: Authorities uncover stash of rare Jack Daniels
State agents have discovered around a million dollars worth of Jack Daniels whiskey in a storage building in Tennessee in the US, according to local reports.
Authorities said yesterday (1 November) that around 2,400 bottles of the spirit were found while following an investigation into illegal whiskey sales by two local businessmen who reside near the distillery.
The Associated Press reported that the whiskey is estimated to be worth US$1m due to the rarity of some of the bottles. Agents discovered one bottled that was still sealed and dated back to 1914. Other bottles were purportedly not available for sales in the US and appeared to be sold in Italy and Spain, according to one official.
Some of the illegal whiskey was also reportedly found in a motel in Nashville. Authorities have said they were working with the Jack Daniel distillery to determine how the bottles were obtained.
Agents said anyone arrested could face charges of possession of untaxed whiskey and while some of the rare spirits might be auctioned off, most of it will be destroyed.
Currently, no arrests have been made and the investigation continues.
Diageo's acquisition of Bushmills Irish Whiskey from Pernod Ricard in 2005 heralded a major change for the brand. As Shivaun Lucey, global brand director, Bushmills, stresses in this month's Just the ...
The head of Beam Global Spirits & Wine has said the company has "a lot of dry powder", and will consider other acquisitions following its failure to capture Vin & Sprit earlier this month....
Louisville, Kentucky has won US$40,000 and announced the winner in a competition in conjunction with Bushmills Whiskey to search for the Twin City of Bushmills in America....
The Pink Spirits Co. has hired a manager for the south eastern region of the US to meet its "growing demand and expanding distribution"....
The Jack Daniel Distillery has announced the appointment of Jeff Arnett as master distiller....
Pernod Ricard is updating and expanding its Jameson Irish Whiskey Reserve offering in the US with new packaging and the addition of two new products....
Brown-Forman has narrowed its full-year forecast, following the release of its third quarter results....
Irish drinks company C&C Group has warned that sales for its current fiscal year are set to continue on their downward trend....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- How soft drinks can win big with adult consumers
- Global director int'l brands, Heineken - Interview
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part I
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Absolut rebound paints rosy picture for Pernod
- SABMiller confirms price paid for Meantime
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends