UK: Authorities deflate Cobra advertising claims
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has upheld complaints that advertising for the successful Indian beer brand Cobra in the UK are misleading.
Refresh UK, owner of Bangla Premium Beer through its subsidiary the Far East Beer Company, had objected to Cobra advertising claims that Cobra beer was less gassy than competitors' lagers and that selling Cobra beer could double retailers' beer sales.
The ASA upheld both complaints from Refresh. UBSN and Carlsberg Tetley Brewing made similar complaints. The ASA said: "The 'less gassy' claim implied that it was true for both the advertisers' bottled and draught products, and because the advertisers could not demonstrate the claim was true for their draught beer, the advertisement was misleading".
It went on: "The advertisement implied that most restaurants stocking the advertiser's product could double their sales of lager. Because that was supported by stock information from one restaurant only", (and this was only obtained after the advertising had begun) "the Authority concluded that the advertisement was misleading."
Carlsberg has finally hooked up with a state-owned Vietnamese brewer....
Carlsberg has entered into negotiations with the IBM Group regarding a possible outsourcing of the Danish brewer's IT services in Europe....
Carlsberg's rating has been lowered following its disappointing Q1 figures earlier this week....
Carlsberg said today that global beer volume showed a 20% increase in the first quarter of the year driven by strong organic growth in BBH as well as a considerable contribution from acquisitions, inc...
Carlsberg has appointed a managing director for its Chinese operations....
Carlsberg has increased its ownership in Carlsberg Brewery Malaysia Berhad from 49.66% to 51%. The investment amounts to approximately US$6m....
Dutch brewer Heineken is rumored to have released a self-chilling beer can....
The Bosnian government has put a majority stake in the country's brewery Banjalucka Pivara up for sale. Previous efforts to privatise the brewer have failed....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends