AUSTRALIA: Australian wine leader hits out at Old World/New World divide
A leading figure in Australia's wine industry has attacked a proposal that wine should be classified in two broad categories - 'natural agricultural' and 'artificial industrial' because it discriminates against New World wine.The proposal, made at the general assembly of the Office International du Vin earlier this year, has been slammed by the general manager of the Australian Wine and Brandy Corporation, Sam Tolley.It was an attempt to label New World wines as 'just another beverage' he said before addressing the annual conference of the Victorian Winemakers' Association.'The attributes of natural versus artificial don't appropriately reflect differences in winemaking techniques between the Old World and the New World,' he said.Tolley told the Conference that the proposal, made by outgoing OIV President, Fernando Bianche de Aguira, epitomised the divide that separated the two worlds.He said that the differences were mainly regulatory, indicating that despite 'a reasonable degree of agreement in favour of progressive wine law among corporate wine producers of all countries' there was a 'disconnect' between industry and governments in some countries.'However, the fundamental problem lies in the belief by each party that it has the best system and that the two are mutually exclusive, when acceptance by both parties of each other's system is actually what is required.'
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Britvic's FY Performance by Region - Focus
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- This week in spirits & wine
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts