AUS: Australian wine exports turn sour in 2008 - AWBC
Australian wine exports fell in value for the first time in 15 years in 2008, official figures show, underlining the challenge facing the industry.
Wine exports slid 18% by value to A$2.46bn last year, a December report from the Australian Wine and Brandy Corporation said. Exports by volume slipped 11%.
The decline marks the first slip in export volumes since 1995 and the first in value for 15 years.
Peter Bailey, senior analyst at AWBC, said: "A slowdown was not unexpected given such factors as the global financial crisis, exchange rate volatility, continuing intense competition from other suppliers, tightening margins, and an extended drought causing supply uncertainty."
Lawrie Stanford, manager of information and analysis at AWBC, told just-drinks early last month that there was a strong case for "downsizing" the industry. Current sales could still be covered with 16% less vineyard area, he said.
Neil McGuigan, general manager of production and supply at McGuigan Wines, told just-drinks this week: "The short term outlook for the Australian wine industry is going to be tough."
But, he added: "Australians are an innovative lot and will continue to mould our style for the ever changing market, plus experiment with new varieties for Australia that give us a new position."
Australia's wine grape harvest significantly beat expectations in 2008 to reach 1.8m tonnes. AWBC estimates that this year's harvest may rise again to 1.9m tonnes, prompting fears of a glut on the market.
Constellation Brands said in its third quarter results this week that it expected a significant decline in grape prices in Australia following the new harvest - indicating the danger of a wine grape surplus.
Declines in traditional export markets such as the UK and US have hit Australia particularly hard. Exports by value in 2008 fell 26.5% and 18% to the US and UK respectively, AWBC figures show.
Some believe Asia may hold the key to revival, however. Exports in 2008 to Hong Kong, which is positioning itself as the wine hub of Asia and a gateway to China, grew 17% in value terms, AWBC said.
The best laid plans, as they say, can go awry. However, for Chris Losh, the Australian wine industry’s Direction to 2025 plan has not only been overtaken by events in the country’s main markets but wa...
Last month, ex-Brown-Forman exec David Cox became Europe director for New Zealand Winegrowers. He spoke with Chris Mercer about what attracted him to working for a generic body and about New Zealand's...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Constellation Brands has posted a marked fall in net sales and profits for the first quarter of its current fiscal year....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has acquired the Effen vodka brand from Sazerac Co....
Crown Imports has launched a food-based tie-up for two of Grupo Modelo beer brands in the US....
Constellation Europe is launching Semillon Sauvignon and Cabernet Merlot wines in the UK to support the growth of its Banrock Station brand in the country....
Australia's Government has its sights fixed on growing wine markets in Asia with the appointment of James Dominguez as the new chairman of the Australian Wine & Brandy Corporation (AWBC)....
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review