UK: Australian Vintage, Concha y Toro unite for 50cl bottle push
Australian Vintage and Chilean wine firm Concha y Toro are to join forces for a joint promotion on wines in 50cl bottles in the UK's largest supermarket chain.
A range of wines from Australian Vintage's McGuigan label and Concha y Toro's Casillero del Diablo brand will be launched in 50cl bottles in 600 Tesco Express stores across the UK from this month.
The two companies announced late last week that they have signed a strategic alliance to promote wine in 50cl bottles.
Their wines will be marketed and sold on one stand-alone unit in the Tesco stores and will be on a three for GBP10 (US$16) offer from October through to December. Consumers will be able to mix and match between the two brands.
"The trade needs to push 50cl as a category in its own right," said Australian Vintage's UK and European general manager, Paul Schaafsma.
Simon Doyle, commercial director for Concha y Toro, added: "We see the 50cl format as an opportunity to satisfy a number of needs. Not only is it timely and relevant given the current economic climate and the need to push the responsible drinking message, but it also responds to consumers occasion driven purchases, such as mid week treats."
In August, Concha y Toro launched Casillero del Diablo in 50cl bottles in the UK, with wines priced at GBP4.99.
Chile has lost US$250m-worth of wine as a result of an earthquake that has claimed 800 lives, but damage to the industry is not as bad as feared....
Vina Concha y Toro has reported a fall in operating profits for 2009, hit by consumers spending less on wine in the economic downturn....
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part II
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- UK spirits producers braced for Brexit impact
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends