AUS: Australia moves against caffeinated alcoholic drinks
- Aus, NZ to review safety of drinks
- Possible action on non-alcoholic energy drinks
- Working with industry to cut BPA use
Australia and New Zealand weigh ban on caffeinated alcoholic drinks
The backlash against alcoholic drinks containing caffeine has spread beyond the US after authorities in Australia and New Zealand have raised concerns about the products.
The Australia and New Zealand Food Regulation Ministerial Council said today (3 December) that it has referred pre-mixed alcohol and caffeine drinks to its Ministerial Council on Drug Strategy. If deemed unsafe, it could move to ban the drinks.
The announcement indicates that the debate on the safety of caffeinated alcoholic drinks is spreading to the world stage. The US Food & Drug Administration (FDA) last month moved to ban the drinks, citing safety concerns after a year-long review of the category.
Australia and New Zealand authorities today broadened the net for possible regulation by also announcing a review of caffeinated energy drinks that do not contain alcohol. It said that it has asked the Food Regulation Standing Committee to "undertake scoping work and provide advice on possible areas for action". It did not detail the nature of possible action.
Separately, the Ministerial Council said that it is continuing to work with the food and drink industry to reduce use of the bisphenol A chemical in packaging.
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- Interview- Veltins export manager Udo Bruns
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages