COMMENT: Aussies say yes to another beer
Although the news spotlight in Australia's liquor industry remains focussed on wine, it is beer which is performing strongest.
The small family owned Coopers has reported similarly positive results, in sales terms, a 16.4% leap in financial 2003/04.
Foster's and Lion Nathan earlier embarked on aggressive programme of winery acquisitions but in general terms earnings have been well below hopes.
Regarded as a mature market, Fosters' Carlton and United Breweries growth of 8.6% in the six months to last December and Lion's 8% in beer came from cost savings, price increases and higher margins together with a surge in the more profitable premium end of the business which currently accounts for an expanding 9% of the total. To capitalise on this Lion Nathan has signed Australian deals with Beck's and Heineken.
In spite of trying to buy up Southcorp, Foster's could itself be a takeover target in the near future, according to press reports....
Foster's Group has extended its Southcorp takeover offer for a third time....
Heineken has acquired a 40% stake in a Chinese brewery....
Spanish winery Bodegas Faustino Martinez is to invest €50m to expand its manufacturing facilities and promote its Ribera del Duero and La Mancha original labels, local newspaper El Correo reported....
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report