AUS/UK: Aspall Cyder, Little World strike Oz deal
A UK cider company has secured distribution in Australia.
Family-owned Aspall Cyder has teamed up with niche Australian brewer Little World Beverages in the country, the two companies said today (21 March).
Little World, which is 34%-owned by Lion Nathan, said it is "pleased" with the relationship it has established with Aspall, which has been producing cider in the UK for almost 280 years.
"This product is consistent with the company's focus on the production and distribution of premium products," Little World CEO Jason Marinko said. "The cider market in Australia is in its infancy and our relationship with Aspall will enable the company to explore different opportunities for growth in the sector in the coming years."
Barry Chevallier Guild, a partner at Aspall Cyder, told just-drinks that Little World has "the same philosophy" to the UK cider producer.
"(Little World) cares for its brands like we do and wants to build brands over the long term," Chevallier Guild said. "Little World knows what it is doing when it comes to marketing premium beer, so it's a good association for us."
Chevallier Guild said that while the cider market in Australia is "fairly stagnant at the moment", he hopes that premium cider will grow in popularity in the country in a similar way to premium beers.
Import beers have driven a surge in premium beer sales in the country, with the segment growing by 15% a year for the last five years.
The aim, Chevallier Guild added, would be to target Aspall at upmarket on-trade outlets "in all major conurbations" in Australia.
Little World, meanwhile, is looking to develop its own cider brand, which is set to launch later this year.
Lion Nathan and Coca-Cola Amatil appear to be the front runners should Australian brewer J Boag & Son go up for sale, according to local reports....
Kirin Holdings, the umbrella company to Kirin Brewery, has posted a slide in net profit for the first half of 2007....
Lion Nathan today reconfirmed its full year guidance for net profit on the back of a small increase in beer sale volumes for the first nine months....
The CEO of niche Australian brewer Little World Beverages has resigned from the business....
Bibendum has added two new single-estate English wines that use the company's north London home as a namesake....
Kirin Brewery Co. aims to keep its 46.1% stake in the Australian brewer Lion Nathan, according to The Australian Financial Review....
Kirin Holdings, the umbrella company to Kirin brewery, has upgraded its forecasts for the first half of this year....
Bibendum has appointed an addition to its board of directors....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much Needed Stability?
- A Dangerous World and the Threat to Beverages
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Moët Hennessy unveils first Travel Retail outlet
- Pernod unveils Jameson bottle for St Patrick's Day
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- SABMiller beer volumes fall as China holds back Q3
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets